[Openswan Users] overlapping networks with nat-t

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu Jan 19 08:30:33 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 12:29 +0100, Marco Berizzi wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> > > an ugly hack is to setup a tunnel for another range,
> > > eg 127.168.1.0/24 and then run SNAT / DNAT on the
> > > packets. Be careful not to NAT the ipsec packets
> > > though. This will be very hard using netkey.
> > >
> ><snip>
> >This can be a real pain in the neck.  For example, we built the ability
> >to do this with a mouse click and few keystrokes into the ISCS network
> >security management project (http://iscs.sourceforge.net) but it still
> >breaks certain protocols, e.g., network neighborhood browsing (as an
> >aside, this is one of the very few things that iptables can't do that a
> >PIX can, i.e., NAT NetBIOS packets with embedded IP information in the
> >NetBIOS header).
>
> There is also another obvious issue. My company network
> is 172.16.0.0/12 + some other branch offices with 192.168.x.0
> Hopefully 172.16.0.0/12 isn't a common used pool. What happens
> if a roadwarrior connect to an other company network which is
> 172.16.0.0/12? ;-)
Hopefully there will still be some room left on the 10.0.0.0/8
network! :)

> >We finally opted for a slightly different solution for most of our
> >production installations.  Not to take anything away from openswan -- a
> >truly great project -- but we went with openswan for our LAN-to-LAN
> >connections and OpenVPN for our RoadWarriors now that it has matured
> >from its early days.  We have been very pleased with the results and,
> >since it uses virtual IP addresses for the RoadWarriors, it almost
> >doesn't matter what real address they have.
>
> >2) There is no need to regulate the home IP address space.  All
> >addresses are virtualized.  This gets us around the problem of multiple
> >users behind the same NAT gateway when using L2TP or multiple users with
> >the same internal address behind different NAT gateways when using
> >IPSec.
>
> IMHO virtual addresses is the only proper solution.
> Again: but ipsec doesn't handle virtual IP?
DHCP-over-IPSec was a nice solution but appears to have died.  On the
other hand, all IPSec virtual adapter implementations that I have seen
had the limitation of only allowing one virtual adapter.  If one had to
completely different networks to attach to (e.g., 10.1.1.0/24 and
172.16.10.0/24), one was stuck.  The OpenVPN approach is much more
elegant.

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net