[Openswan Users] Warnings building 2.4.5rc3 kernel module

Kevin White kwhite at telsource.com
Wed Jan 11 15:58:18 CET 2006

Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Kevin White wrote:
>
>> Subject: [Openswan Users] Warnings building 2.4.5rc3 kernel module
>>
>> I've been having this problem for a while now, but I figured it was
>> something I was doing.  I can't get it fixed, though, so I'm punting.
>>
>> I'm trying to compile a 2.6.14 kernel (right now, 2.6.14.3, but I'm
>> about to change that to 2.6.14.6).  I apply the two 2.6 patches (-natt
>> and -klips), and I get these warnings:
>>
>> if [ -r System.map -a -x /sbin/depmod ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F
>> System.map  2.6.14.3; fi
>> WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.14.3/kernel/net/ipsec/ipsec.ko needs unknown
>> symbol des_ede3_cbc_encrypt
>> WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.14.3/kernel/net/ipsec/ipsec.ko needs unknown
>> symbol ipsec_3des_init
>> WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.14.3/kernel/net/ipsec/ipsec.ko needs unknown
>> symbol des_check_key
>> WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.14.3/kernel/net/ipsec/ipsec.ko needs unknown
>> symbol ipsec_aes_init
>
> hm, that seems a problem. Is this with or without CRYPTOAPI support?

OK...

I think it was _me_, but I'm not sure why what I was doing was wrong.

What I did was take the openswan-2.4.5rc3.kernel-2.6-klips.patch.gz
patch, patch my kernel, and compile, choosing the correct config options
to enable it.  When compiled that way, those errors show up.

I tried a second time, only applying the -natt patch, and letting
openswan build the module.  That time, it worked, with no errors (and
the resulting .ko is larger).

So, using that procedure (build the ipsec.ko outside of the kernel
build) appears to have worked for me now.  Building by patching the
kernel doesn't appear to.

CRYPTOAPI suppose is, in fact, enabled.  I thought part of my problem
was that 4 of the crypto options were statically linked, and the rest
were modules...I made them all modules, but that didn't fix it.

Kevin

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It
is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing
or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety,
whether electronic or hard copy.  You may not directly or indirectly reuse or
redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services
for which you are receiving the information.

Telsource Corporation
8237 Dow Cir, Strongsville, OH 44136