[Openswan Users] RE: ipsec0 dropped packets as a result of icmp unreachable misfires

Marco Berizzi pupilla at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 4 10:36:48 CET 2006

Paul Wouters wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Marco Berizzi wrote:
>
> > This is my network diagram:
> >
> > ---priv1_net---|swan1 box|---eth0_pub_ip-*internet*-pub_ip_eth0---|swan2
> > box|---priv2_net
> >
> > I'm pinging a non-existent system on the priv1_net from a priv2_net host
>and
> > the swan1
> > box is generating an icmp host unreachable packet with source
>IP=eth0_pub_ip
> > and
> > destination IP=priv2_net host. This packet is then routed through ipsec0
>and
> > it is
> > dropped by KLIPS. I don't understand why the linux box is generating the
>icmp
> > packet
> > with source ip=eth0_pub and not with the priv1_net ip assigned to itself
>(on
> > eth1). Is this
> > the correct behaviour? What should I do to have the icmp unreach
>response back
> > to the
> > original client on the priv2_net (if possible)?
>
>that's odd, it shouldnt be accepted by klips as there is no policy for it.

Sorry, I don't understand you. Why is this odd? I don't see anything wrong.
Perhaps I didn't clearly explain myself. These packets *are* routed through
ipsec0 because of the openswan's route add:

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
priv2_net    cisco_pub_ip_1      priv2_net_mask   UG        0 0          0
ipsec0

but these packets are *not* accepted by KLIPS. They are correctly dropped
with
this error:

ipsec_xmit_encap_bundle: shunt SA of DROP or no eroute: dropping

because there is no policy for those one's as you wrote. Correct?

>A workaround I can think of is to use leftsourceip=priv1_netip on swan1
>box, which
>might trigger the icmp message source address to be the private instead of
>public
>address.

Aha! Yes, now it is working ;-) I also successfully tried the same trick
with netkey
(2.6.14.3). I'm now getting back "Destination Host Unreachable" messages.
I'm happy ;-) [I'm going to update all my openswan box]

>I am not sure if this should be considered a bug in openswan or in the
>linux kernel.

I *think* linux is generating the icmp message with source ip=eth0_pub_ip
because
of the following openswan added route:

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
priv2_net    cisco_pub_ip_1      priv2_net_mask   UG        0 0          0
ipsec0

IMHO this isn't a openswan bug nor a kernel bug. Perhaps the route addition
on netkey boxes could be considered an openswan bug.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

PS: When was introduced left-right-sourceip parameter? May you update man
page?