[Ipsec-tools-users] Re: [Openswan Users] nat_traversal in manual keying ?

Pjothi pjothi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 15:16:35 CET 2006

I collected the following information:

NETKEY is a native IPSec implementation
Pluto is an IKE daemon for KLIPS IPSec implementation
rracoon is an IKE daemon for NETKEY part of KAME Project

Here comes openswan related:

openswan (2.4.0rc5) supports both NETKEY and KLIPS
racoon is part of ipsec-tools.(0.6.4)

But I have the following problem:

when I use pluto and in efffect KLIPS,
NAT-T happens (although I have some problems, but for now it does work) and
packets are udp encapsulated.

But, when I try to do the same with Racoon, when I enable NAT traversal with
racoon using Preshared keys, it says NAT-T support not compiled in. (I do
see some nat-t parameters in sample racoon.conf but still it gives me this
error)

I use Suse 10 (kernel 2.6.13)
openswan 2.4.0rc5
and ipsec-tools 0.6.4.

I do not understand this behaviour, does this mean NETKEY IPsec
implementation still does not support NAT-T or racoon still does not support
NAT-T.

So, here I wanted to see, if NETKEY implementation has NAT-T support, or
atleast I wan't to force UDP encapsulation by manual keying.

Can anyone clarify this ? Because, atleast forcing UDP encapsulation is
going to help me in a demo setup scenario where a SIP client and SIP proxy
can automatically setup SAD and SPD using setkey and bootstrap IPSec and
protect themselves.

many thanks for your time and hope to get some inputs.

regards,
Pjothi