[Openswan Users] Linux to Linux ipsec/l2tp server

Brett Curtis dashnu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:38:02 CET 2006

Ok I have decided to run rsasig for auth. I went through this guide
http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/ipsec-l2tp.php to help me configure
my own Certificate Authority and created all the needed keys and pems
and crls but When I change my ipsec.secrets to this:

: RSA host.domain.net.key "passwdusedtocreatekey"

I get this error in the logs.

Feb 13 13:29:19 defender pluto[4028]:   error in PKCS#1 private key
Feb 13 13:29:19 defender pluto[4028]: | loaded private key for keyid:
PPK_RSA:
Feb 13 13:29:19 defender pluto[4028]: "/etc/ipsec/ipsec.secrets" line
1: error loading RSA private key file
Feb 13 13:29:19 defender pluto[4028]: | next event
EVENT_PENDING_PHASE2 in 120 seconds

I went through the certificate creation a few times to make sure i
did not screw anything up.. however I must have.