[Openswan Users] iptables and ipsec

Andreas Stallmann stallmann at dawin.de
Tue Feb 7 11:35:40 CET 2006

Hi Michael!

Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
> ...  if you are patching, get also the "recent" module. Look
> to the iptables patch page for more. Cool stuff!
> SuSE has a lot already compiled in.

Well... unfortunately, I'm forced to use Gentoo. And thus the next
question is gentoo related:

How the f*** can I use patch-o-matic-ng with gentoo? Perfectly
understandable, the netfilter extensions howto[1] does only cover
patching the native iptables (and kernel) source, something I don't like
to to, mainly because I'm affraid the next "emerge" might destroy my
changes.

Anyone out there who has used patch-o-matic-ng on a gentoo box? Does
patching the kernel only (and configuring it afterwards) the trick, as
described in:

http://www.gentoo-wiki.org/HOWTO_Packet_Shaping

Or does the make changes to the iptables-source also, and I have to
recompile (or re-emerge) it afterwards?

Thanks for any information,

Andreas
PS: Somtimes I wish stuff in IT would simply f***in' WORK! You think
something might take you 3 hours, and then you look back after 3 weeks
and see what you have accomplished: Nothing. *sigh* Why didn't I learn
any sensible profession. Like butcher. Or teacher. Or did you ever hear
of a pig that's not compatible with a butchers knife? Or wouldn't it be
nice, for once, if you could shout (even better: hit it) at a computer
and it would do what you want it to do afterwards? *SIGH*
[1]  Well... and the online-version is not up-to-date, I had to search
quite a while till I found the most recent version covering subversion
*in* the subversion archive. Cool place for hiding information. But it
has a nice recursive "twinge" to it: