[Openswan Users] newbie help - RHEL 3 behind NAT to SonicWall

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Wed Feb 1 19:15:42 CET 2006

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Kimberly Knowles Nico wrote:

> I am reluctant to go with a non-EL-blessed kernel, but for the heck of it I
> attempted to build 2.4.5rc4.  I am quite sure I need the NAT-T patch, because I
> intend to use it behind a NATed router.  But the patch failed.

the NAT-T patch is only for use with KLIPS, not NETKEY. RHEL3 ships with NETKEY,
an old broken version of NETKEY that is, and so you cannot patch the NAT-T KLIPS
patch, and you cannot use KLIPS on these systems.

I have said it before and I will say it again, "RHEL3 is the worst system to try
and run IPsec on, since its NETKEY is broken and you cannot install KLIPS on it."