[Openswan Users] Which 2.6 kernel?

Oliver Tomkins oliver.tomkins at alliedvehicles.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 08:44:28 CET 2006

As ever many thanks for your response Paul.

Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Oliver Tomkins wrote:
>
>> However, if the connection is left idle it appears to automatically disconnect
>> and they are not able to reconnect until a reboot/restart on the ipsec/l2tpd
>> server.
>
> do you have uniqueids=yes  in config setup?

I have uniqueids=no currently, should I change this?

>> Following this type of disconnection I can also see outbound traffic (isakmp)
>> from the VPN server to the client although the client has disconnected.
>>
>> I'm using Fedora Core 4 (2.6.14-1.1656_FC4), Netkey and Openswan U2.4.4.
>>
>> From having a quick look through here it appears there are problems with the
>> kernel shipped with Fedora and  I should use a vanilla kernel?
>
> I don't think you are running into kernel problems here. This seems like either
> a userland problem, or a bad NAT router that is terminating the connection without
> telling either end.

There's no NAT taking place at any point.  Public IP > Public IP.  I
installed openswan via yum.  Do you think it's worth reinstalling from
the source code?

>> Is there a preferred version of the 2.6 kernel for use with Openswan?
>
> non-fedora if on smp.

So just the latest stable vanilla kernel then?

Thanks,

Olly.

The information in this e-mail is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Allied Vehicles cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network.
For details of our products and services please visit our website at www.alliedvehicles.co.uk