[Openswan Users] Cisco VPN connection

Andy Gay andy at andynet.net
Tue Aug 29 09:57:37 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 08:06 -0400, Artem wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> I cannot seem to understand how to connect to Cisco IOS VPN. Here's
> its configuration:
>
> Connection Type: Tunnel
>
> ip crypto key
>
> IPSEC phaze1 (ISAKMP):
> encryption algorithm: Three key triple DES
> hash algorithm: Secure Hash Standart
> authentication method: Pre-Shared Key
> Diffie-Hellman group: 1 (768 bit)

I don't think Openswan supports group 1 - too weak. Try to use group 2
or group 5

> lifetime: 600 seconds
>
> IPSEC phaze2:
> pfs group: 2
> encryption algorithm: 3des
> authentication algorithm: hmac sha
>
> (crypto ipsec transform-set 3dessha esp-3des esp-sha-hmac)
>
> transform-set 3dessha
>
> Crypted traffic:
> ip host host
>

> Here's my OpenSwan config:
>
> config setup
> interfaces=%defaultroute
> uniqueids=yes
>
> conn ciscovpn
> type= tunnel
> left= MY_IP
> right= CISCO_IP
> keyexchange= ike
> pfs= no

Seems you need pfs=yes, AFAIK that's what "pfs group 2" means in the
Cisco.

> auth= esp
> auto= add
> ikelifetime= 20m

Won't stop it getting connected, but you do say the Cisco is set to 10
min, it's better to configure both sides the same.

> authby=secret
>

> I tried playing with esp and ike options with no success. tcpdump
> shows [E] at both stage 1 and stage 2, the remote side tells me that
> stage two fails (though they cannot confirm that the first stage went
> OK).

Show us the Openswan logs, they'll tell us if phase 1 completes. I would
not expect it to with group 1 in the Cisco.

>  Any ideas what might be wrong? Is it possible at all to connect to
> this Cisco VPN concentrator?

I have several connections to Cisco 3000 series concentrators, and a few
to PIX firewalls, generally I've had no difficulty getting it to work.