[Openswan Users] unencrypted l2tp packets

Brett Curtis dashnu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 11:52:50 EDT 2006

Ok I am onto something now.. All signs point to iptables.

My working machine uses kernel 2.6.14 my non working machine uses
2.6.17 there a several change in iptables since then.

With 2.6.17 my esp packets are not matched. 2.6.14 they are.

If i match & mark port 4500 & 500 my VPN works as expected. in
tcpdump I see packets as follows:

11:43:20.066733 IP defender.myhost.net.ipsec-nat-t >
cpe-24-31-134-99.maine.res.rr.com.ipsec-nat-t: UDP-encap: ESP
(spi=0x00ed3f6f,seq=0x1263), length 116
11:43:20.144031 IP defender.myhost.net.ipsec-nat-t >
cpe-24-31-134-99.maine.res.rr.com.ipsec-nat-t: UDP-encap: ESP
(spi=0x00ed3f6f,seq=0x1264), length 148
11:43:20.297978 IP cpe-24-31-134-99.maine.res.rr.com.ipsec-nat-t >
defender.myhost.net.ipsec-nat-t: UDP-encap: ESP
(spi=0x066f603a,seq=0x110c), length 116

To me this means my packet are ESP inside NAT-T which is fine..
please tell me if I am wrong.

With 2.6.17 iptables uses xtables and xt_esp I think my problem is
here and I may move over to the netfilter list.

Thanks

Brett Curtis
IT Manager
IW Financial