[Openswan Users] Natted L2TP client fails

Arun S arunhere at inbox.com
Wed Apr 26 23:15:37 CEST 2006

 The actual reason for the failure of Natted L2TP client connection is, "also=" doesn't seem to work properly on v2.4.5. The connection specified with "also=" didn't get added to the IPsec connections stack (which was verified by using "ipsec auto --status"). By removing that "also=" and by re-writing the parameters, it worked :)

>> I am also using two VPN test servers, Openswan v1.0.10 running on Linux
>> 2.4.31 box.
>>
>> Following is the setup for VPN host to host configuration with
>> pre-shared keys.
>> LAN1---SG1(NATTed)---Firewall=================SG2----LAN2
>> Where SG1 is behind the Firewall and is NATed. SG1 talks to Firewall &
>> which in turn gets redirected to SG1.
>>
>> It is observed that when the VPN tunnel is initiated for the first time,
>> there  will not be any kind of problem & SG detects the presence of NAT.
>> Phase-I and Phase-II get established successfully.
>>
>> When the rekey is either started by SG1/SG2 i.e any direction,
>> renegotiation fails everytime. VPN tunnel will not be back unless we
>> restart the VPN on both SGs.
>
> There are very likely several rekey bugs in openswan 1.x

Fine Paul. With some minor tweaks, managed to fix this problem in v1.0.10 ;)