[Openswan Users] Problem in openswan installation

karthik.ramanathan at wipro.com karthik.ramanathan at wipro.com
Thu Apr 20 19:05:55 CEST 2006

Hi,

We are working in snapgear linux kernel 2.6 version for the
implementation of IPsec using openswan 2.3.0 ,we are facing some
problems in the openswan.We have  a directory called openswan in
snapgear 3.3.0.We want to know whether openswan is already installed or
do we have install it. We gave "make programs" which generated the
following error .I have attached the following lines which are giving
the error when we give the make programs command in the openswan
directory.

Entering directory `/disk2/test/snapgear/openswan/programs/pluto'
cc -o pluto  ike_alg.o db_ops.o connections.o cookie.o crypto.o defs.o
dpd.o foodgroups.o log.o state.o plutomain.o plutoalg.o server.o timer.o
pluto_constants.o id.o ipsec_doi.o kernel.o  kernel_netlink.o
kernel_pfkey.o kernel_noklips.o rcv_whack.o   demux.o lex.o keys.o
dnskey.o pluto_crypt.o crypt_ke.o rnd.o spdb.o spdb_struct.o sha1.o
md5.o  vendor.o nat_traversal.o virtual.o  ike_alg_aes.o ike_alginit.o
xauth.o   ac.o asn1.o oid.o pem.o pgp.o pkcs.o x509.o certs.o md2.o
ocsp.o x509keys.o  whacklib.o    ../../lib/libcrypto/libdes/libdes.a
../../lib/libcrypto/libaes/libaes.a ../../lib/libopenswan/libopenswan.a
-lgmp -lresolv
/usr/bin/ld: ike_alg.o: Relocations in generic ELF (EM: 40)
ike_alg.o: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [pluto] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/disk2/test/snapgear/openswan/programs/pluto'
make[1]: *** [programs] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/disk2/test/snapgear/openswan/programs'
make: *** [programs] Error 1

When we gave the ipsec verify command it generated the following result.

Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started
correctly:
Version check and ipsec on-path
[OK]
Linux Openswan U2.3.0/K(no kernel code presently loaded)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel
[FAILED]
Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)
[FAILED]
ipsec showhostkey: file `/etc/ipsec.secrets' does not exist
Checking that pluto is running
[FAILED]
whack: Pluto is not running (no "/var/run/pluto.ctl")
Checking for 'ip' command
[OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command
[OK]

Opportunistic Encryption DNS checks:
   Looking for TXT in forward dns zone: wipro.com
[MISSING]
   Does the machine have at least one non-private address?    [FAILED]

Please tell me now whether openswan is installed properly or is there
any other options we have to enable.Otherwise do I have to install
openswan again ???. If it is so then please let me know the site and the
steps to install it properly.

Thanks & Regards
Karthik

www.wipro.com