[Openswan Users] Problem compiling KLIPS as a module

John Serink jserink2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 02:47:19 CEST 2006

Hi Ted:

Ok, here is what I'm doing:
johnathlonlinux linux # find / -iname "ipsec.ko"
/lib/modules/2.6.16-ck3/kernel/net/ipsec/ipsec.ko
/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-ck3/net/ipsec/ipsec.ko
johnathlonlinux linux #

Now, I'll recomplie the openswan userland tools:
Done. Now, do the search again:
johnathlonlinux openswan-2.4.5 # find / -iname
"ipsec.ko"
/lib/modules/2.6.16-ck3/kernel/net/ipsec/ipsec.ko
/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-ck3/net/ipsec/ipsec.ko
johnathlonlinux openswan-2.4.5 #

Same result. Here here is the problem:
johnathlonlinux openswan-2.4.5 # modprobe ipsec
FATAL: Error inserting ipsec
(/lib/modules/2.6.16-ck3/kernel/net/ipsec/ipsec.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see
dmesg)

This message corresponds with the dmesg last 4 lines:
ipsec: Unknown symbol des_ede3_cbc_encrypt
ipsec: Unknown symbol ipsec_3des_init
ipsec: Unknown symbol des_check_key
ipsec: Unknown symbol ipsec_aes_init

I have redone the make modules_install and get the
same error messages. I have sompiles all of my netkwy
options as modules:
CONFIG_IPSEC_NAT_TRAVERSAL=y
CONFIG_INET_AH=m
CONFIG_INET_ESP=m