[Openswan Users] Accessing Internet from Win/XP during VPN

Christian Brechbühler brechbuehler at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 15:35:41 CEST 2006

Server is openswan 2.4.4 (pondering upgrade to 2.4.5) on 2.6.11-gentoo-r5.
It listens on a non-private IP, i.e., is not NATted.
Some clients are WindowsXP service pack 2.  Those have trouble.

I witnessed myself that while the VPN connection was established, Outlook
Express did not work.  I seemed able to access the Internet otherwise (e.g.,
HTTP to Google).
My users complain that their mail doesn't work and they cannot reach the
Internet at all while connected (DNS (10.0.0.52) resolves www.google.com,
but that's it).  They can reach machines on the 10.0.0.X subnet only.

I haven't seen this symptom described here.  Any ideas?

>From a Linux client (openswan 2.4.4, IPsec only) all works fine, because it
only routes 10.0.0.X packets through the tunnel anyway.

Thanks,
    Christian