[Openswan Users] Problems with RDP over IpSec

Gary W. Smith gary at primeexalia.com
Wed Apr 5 20:56:35 CEST 2006

I recommend that you don't worry about the MTU on the D-Link.  Tweak it
directly on the network interface on the ipsec server.  We had the same
problem (we don't control the routing equipment, just the firewall).

We added this to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
MTU=1400

We tried to override it in the /etc/ipsec.conf file with this:
overridemtu=1000 (original 1400, tweak down on both ends)

but it never worked.  So we manually throttled down the network
interface which causes all of the applications to automatically go down
as well.  And if I'm wrong on this, please jump in.  I'm not an expert
on TCP/IP.

On