[Openswan Users] Problems with RDP over IpSec

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Wed Apr 5 18:00:46 CEST 2006

Preface:  I really don't think this is an OpenSwan problem, but we are
somewhat at a stand.  I have virtually nothing to do with the Windows
side of things (I set up the Linux gateway only).

We have a net configuration that uses an OpenSwan gateway in the home
office and Win XP 'roadwarriors' in the branch office.  On the home
office (Site A) net is a Win2003 file/application server running the
office management software and holding the database.

192.168.1.0 --- 192.168.1.100/a.b.c.d -{ Internet }-
w.x.y.z/192.168.2.100 --- 192.168.2.0
                            Linux/OpenSwan
cheapie D-Link router

The Win2003 box is at 192.168.1.50.

The remote (Site B) clients use RDP to connect to the Win2003 box and
run the office app.  The system was working properly until the end of
February.  Since that time, the remote office XP clients cannot RDP to
the Win2003 box.  Here are some tests we've done.

(1) With the tunnel up, Win XP client computers on the 192.168.2.0 net
can ping any host on 192.168.1.0, including 192.168.1.50.

(2) With the tunnel up, Win XP client computers on the 192.168.2.0 net
can use Network Neighborhood (or whatever) to browse shares on any host
on 192.168.1.0, including 192.168.1.50.

(3) With the tunnel up, Win XP client computers on the 192.168.2.0 net
can use TightVNC to connect to a single desktop on 192.168.1.50.

(4) Using a Linux client running OpenSwan on 192.168.0.0 at a different
remote site (Site C), I can connect RDP to 192.168.1.50.

(5) Taking one of the remote office computers from the remote office to
another site (Site D), setting up that net to be 192.168.2.0, the XP
client CAN connect RDP to 192.168.1.50.  The router used at Site D was
taken to Site B and using the same XP client, failed to connect RDP to
192.168.1.50.

(6) Any XP client on 192.168.1.0 can RDP into 192.168.1.50.

(7) With the tunnel up, Win XP client computers on the 192.168.2.0 net
can RDP into Win XP clients on the 192.168.1.0 net.

(8) Any client (Site B, C, or D) can ssh into the gateway over the tunnel.

Iptables on the gateway is set up to allow input and forward for all
packets arriving via the tunnel.  (I'm using a 2.6 kernel with netkey,
the packets are marked as they come in, and any marked packet gets
forwarded).  All packets, except 'established connections,' that are not
marked are logged and dropped.

All tests suggest to me that the VPN tunnel is working properly.  To me,
these tests suggest that the problem is something on the 2003 box,
EXCEPT 4,5,6,7.

However, we put ethereal on the Win2003 box and captured some packets.
On a failed attempt to connect, we get
packets listed as

[TCP Previous Segment Lost] 3532 > 3389 [PSH, ACK] Seq=7977 Ack=1694
Win=65288 Len 498

and the next packet being marked [TCP Dupe ACK 31#1]

with none of these showing up the RDP connections via the tunnel that
succeed.

Nothing is being written to the logs on the OpenSwan gateway, and
nothing is being written to the logs on the Win2003 box.  (I asked them
to enable Oakley logs on the XP clients; if they did, they have not
reported to me if anything is showing up there).

So, I guess what I really want from this list is independent
confirmation that the issue is NOT with OpenSwan or that it might
actually be.

Also, I have been repeatedly asked if the issue "might be" the DSL
modem/ISP equipment on the Remote office side.  The points I keep making
to this are

(1) via the tunnel, the routers/equipment between remote office client
and OpenSwan gateway does not know anything about packet destinations or
tunneled protocols.  In other words, Bellsouths routers don't know a
tunneled RDP packet for 192.168.1.50 from an ICMP Echo request for
192.168.1.50 from a RDP packet for 192.168.1.7.  If things work for one
type of traffic to the internal net, they should work for ALL types,
right?  (As far as DSL modem/ISP equipment is concerned at least).  All
that equipment sees is UDP packets destined for a.b.c.d on the NAT-T port.

and

(2) 192.168.1.50 does not see anything except a packet from 192.168.2.4;
it does not 'know' the packet has been routed over the net.

Any thoughts or input regarding possible solutions or even additional
tests would be greatly appreciated.

--
John S. Riley, Ph.D.
DSB Scientific Consulting