[Openswan Users] X.509 and PLAIN mixed possible???

Drees Stefan s_drees at c-c.de
Thu Sep 29 18:21:21 CEST 2005

Hello,
i hope someone can help me.
Some of our customers are using openswan with plain RSA keys, about 8 office connections.
Now our customer wants to connect some roadwarrior with certificates using NCP VPN-Client.
I created an RootCA and certificates. The connection is build up successful, but i got many error messages
because i had two ": RSA ..." entries in ipsec.secrets. One using plain RSA key and one using RSA certificate.

I don´t want to reconfigure all vpn connections, so i thought i can use IDs to make the connections
unique. I want to make one entry for every roadwarrior connection in ipsec.secrets:
<DN1>: RSA vpngw.pem <passphrase>
<DN2>: RSA vpngw.pem <passphrase>
<DN3>: RSA vpngw.pem <passphrase>

But it doesn´t work. Whatever i insert in ipsec.secrets (correct or wrong DN), the connection is running.
Can someone tell me, why using different ids (DN) in ipsec.secrets doesn´t work?

ipsec.conf
conn ncp
    left=x.x.x.x
    leftsubnet=10.1.1.0/24
    leftrsasigkey=%cert
    leftnexthop=%defaultroute
    leftcert=vpngw.pem
    right=%any
    rightsubnet=10.1.1.2/32
    rightrsasigkey=%cert
    authby=rsasig
    auto=add
    keyingtries=0
    pfs=yes

ipsec.secrets
C=DE,....OU=VPN,....: RSA vpngw.key <passphrase>

Thanks in advance.
    Stefan Drees

Computer & Communication GmbH
Gewerbepark 16