[Openswan Users] Openswan stability/usability on RHEL4/Centos 4

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 17:38:11 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 10:24 +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> So I tried the 2.4.0rc6 rpms.  This appeared to work pretty well.  But
> then when left over the weekend the box paniced after less than 24 hours
> when in a basically idle state.  I don't have the trace for this, but
> the error was similar to that Ravi Verma in August.

Much to my embarrassment, this one is a red herring.
When changing from the 2.3.1 to the 2.4.0 rpms (which are packaged
differently), I managed to *not* install the KLIPS rpm, so the system
was still on netkey.  As it was last thing on a Friday afternoon I
didn't notice :-(

For the record, the error message was (with added line breaks):-
 Kernel panic - not syncing: net/ipv4/xfrm4_output.c:100:
   spinlock(net/xfrm/xfrm_state.c:cff81e14) already locked by
   net/ipv4/xfrm4_output.c/80

This appears to happen much faster with the 2.4.0rc6 userland than with
the 2.3.1 userland.

	Nigel.