[Openswan Users] Windows vpn clients

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Sep 7 18:44:59 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 19:20 +0200, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> > lsipsectool looks quite interesting and timely for me as I am preparing
> > a moderate sized rollout of windows clients (ca. 30) for a client.  We
>
> > Does anyone have serious production experience with it? Is it ready for
> > production deployment? Thanks - John
>
> I have tested and documented about 10-15 IPsec clients for Windows. This
> client was the best by far. Both in ease of setup and of use. I did not
> do any long term testing with either client, but since most clients use
> the native microsoft stack anyway, most of their functionality is the
> same on a kernel/packet level. Only the application frontend is different.
>
> And frankly, there is no frontend with ipsec.exec. And for 30 clients, you
> will end up explaining to them why their laptop is broken if they run
> ipsec.exe, tunnel default route through the tunnel, close the laptop and
> go home to open it. They will be dead in the water. At least with lsipsec,
> the icon will make them aware, they can easilly reconnect, and lsipsec
> itself will fail its ping and change its tray icon to RED.
>
> I would not want to roll out ipsec.exec to customers.
>
> Paul
I think that's about the finest recommendation I can ask for.  However,
I enthusiastically booted into Windows, thought I would take a look even
though we are close to deployment, went to the site and found no
documentation.  I downloaded the installer and ran it but it did little
more than overwrite my Cygwin with an older version.

I downloaded the source but didn't see documentation there either (I
didn't peruse the code).  Perhaps I'm in just too much of a rush trying
to squeeze this in at the last minute but, am I missing something? How
does one install, configure and run this product? I'm quite eager to
give it a go even if it means working through the night to add it to our
project before it's to late.  Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com