[Openswan Users] Problem with IE proxy and VPN

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 23:59:32 CET 2005

Hello

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Jacco de Leeuw wrote:

> Albert Strasheim wrote:
>
> >Then I changed the VPN connection's proxy settings to match the
> >global IE settings in Tools | Options | Connections | <select VPN
> >connection> | Settings.... Suddenly, I could access all the hosts on
> >the local network again.
> >
> >The same problem might occur ....
>
> But isn't this what you would expect? You set up a VPN connection
> and the browser temporarily uses the proxy associated with that
> particular connection.
>
> Or am I overlooking something?

Initially, the VPN connection's proxy settings were empty, i.e. all
HTTP connections by IE should have been direct to the hosts if it were
using these settings. However, the VPN connection wasn't selected as a
connection to dial or anything like that, so I would expect IE to use
the global settings. The global settings specified the PAC file, which
also tells IE to use direct connections to hosts on the local network.
So regardless of which settings were being used, connections to local
network hosts should have been direct on the LAN interface.

However, this configuration broke the connections to some (not all)
local hosts on the network when using IE. Meanwhile, I could still
connect to all the hosts using ping/telnet to port 80/etc.

Changing the VPN connection's settings to use the PAC file (to match
the global settings), fixed the broken connections. In this case, both
the global and VPN proxy settings were telling IE (via the PAC file) to
access local network hosts directly.

So in both cases, IE should have been making direct connections, but
when the settings didn't match, something broke down. This behavior
seems wrong to me, unless I'm missing something?

Regards

Albert