[Openswan Users] openswan ipsec VPN

Nick Woolley nick at kudoswebsolutions.com
Mon Oct 31 08:49:28 CET 2005

HI Paul,

Yes the connection seems to work with right=%any and then no type=transport.
It seems to assume transport mode from there.

The logs say absolutely nothing when I try and connect to Openswan from
behind a NAT (the server is also behind a NAT).  Connect to the server on a
local area network and it works fine.  Locally the logs show up with no
errors.

However, even with the Bernd's patch installed to make an Openswan server
work behind a NAT (downloaded from Jacco de Leeuw's site, for Openswan
version 2.4.2), ports 4500 and 500 UDP forwarded to the server, and a
connection from behind a NAT on the other side, nothing actually happens.  I
don't even get any TCP activity when I do a tcpdump on the server.

It all suggests that I am not able to connect to an Openswan server behind a
NAT using Windows XP - but I thought this was all possible with the XP SP2
patch and the Openswan patch?  The fact I get absolutely no network traffic
puzzles me, and seems to suggest I haven't set up port forwarding correctly
(but that isn't true as 8080 and 22 all go through ok) - hence my question
regarding VPN pass through routers.  Or is there a different version of
Openswan I should be using?

To describe the setup more fully:

Windows XP SP2	192.168.1.X
Windows LAN		192.168.1.0/24

Gateway & NAT	192.168.1.1
WAN IP		X.X.X.X

WAN IP		X.X.X.X
Gateway & NAT	10.0.0.2

(port forwarding		|
Of 4500 and 500 UDP)	|
Openswan server	10.0.0.99

I applied the tips from Jacco de Leeuw that he kindly gave on Saturday, but
I still get no traffic with tcpdump.  Is there something else I have to
configure other that Bernd's patch to make an OPenswan server work behind a
NAT?

Cheers,

Nick Woolley