[Openswan Users] Windows rekey problem

Colin Johnston colinj at mx5.org.uk
Thu Oct 20 11:13:10 CEST 2005

Hi John,
We had the same problem in testing using local lan clients to the vpn
server.

The issue never seemed to happen with remote clients so we assumed it was a
speed issue with packets where the application(openswan) could not respond
quick enough but over the WAN it worked ok with greater speed lags.
We tried changing rekey times but it made no difference.

The issue may well happen with remote clients but since most are slow and
only broadband speed then it is unlikely.

I found a simple restart of openswan via cron each night kept everything
working well and even if clients were connected at restart time they
reconnected automatically after openswan restarted.

Colin Johnston
Satsig sysadmin