[Openswan Users] klips and segmentation fault

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Oct 11 15:23:49 CEST 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Lelio Parisi wrote:

> I've compiled (yes, again) openswan with klips:
> 0) A kernel patch must be applied to make the option
> CONFIG_IPSEC_NAT_TRAVERSAL available
>    make nattpatch2.6 > ../nat-t-patch-2.6.diff
>    cd ../linux
>    patch -p1<../nat-t-patch-2.6.diff
>    make menuconfig and enable Networking / Networking
> options / IPSEC Nat-Traversal
>    recompile and install new kernel

You also need to rebuild all the kernel modules. so you need
make bzImage modules modules_install

> 1) From the openswan source directory
>        export KERNELSRC=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
>        make module26
>        make minstall26
>        depmod -a

You can use 'make module minstall', it will automatically figure out whether
it is a 2.6 or 2.4 kernel and call module24/minstall24 or module26/minstall26.
The install also runs a depmod for you.

> everything seems to went well...
> I make modprobe ipsec but when I run ifconfig it says
> segmentation fault
> I've to reboot for works again
> in the meanwhile ipsec doesn't work of course

which version of openswan and kernel? 2.6.12+ seems to have problems for
klips on some systems (eg fedora), and you should be using a 2.4.x openswan
on kernels 2.6.11 and up.

"Happiness is never grand"

 	--- Mustapha Mond, World Controller (Brave New World)