[Openswan Users] IPSec performance

kumar nani kumar_lists at yahoo.co.in
Tue Oct 4 13:19:18 CEST 2005

Hi all,

 Is there any limitation on the IPSec performance in
tunnel mode.Currently I am using two linux PC's with
openswan-2.3.0 installed on them.I made a tunnel setup
using the above two PC's as gateways and two more PC's
as the leftsubnet & rightsubnet for those two PC's
running as gateways.After the tunnel got established ,
I measured the performance using iperf bandwidth
measurement tool, and I got 75Mbps udp bandwidth.But
the thing is I have seen that the high end routers are
giving only 45Mbps(max) as VPN throughput.I am
doubting whether performance depends on clock speed of
the cpu and also number of tunnels configured.Is it
correct.Can anybody tell me what exactly the
performance factor will depend upon.

-- Kumar