[Openswan Users] Re: your mail

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Nov 29 21:19:20 CET 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, utkarsh shah wrote:

> conn abc
>         left=151.7.7.254
>         leftsubnet=7.7.7.0/255.255.255.0
>         leftnexthop=151.7.7.1
>         right=%any
>         authby=secret
>         auto=add
>         pfs=yes
>         keylife=8h
>         rekey=yes
>         rekeymargin=10
>         rekeyfuzz=0%
>         keyingtries=10
>         compress=yes
>         dpddelay=30
>         dpdtimeout=120
>         dpdaction=clear
>

> conn rw_ltotp_test
>         left=151.7.7.254
>         leftsubnet=7.7.7.0/255.255.255.0
>         leftnexthop=151.7.7.1
>         right=%any
>         authby=rsasig
>         leftrsasigkey=%cert
>         rightrsasigkey=%cert
>         rightcert=ltotptest.pem
>         auto=add
>         pfs=yes
>         keylife=8h
>         rekey=yes
>         rekeymargin=10
>         rekeyfuzz=0%
>         keyingtries=10
>         compress=yes
>         dpddelay=30
>
> my ipsec.secrets file is like
>
> : RSA elitecorevpnprivatekey.key "password"
>
> 151.7.7.254 %any : PSK "presharedkey"
>

> when I write both connection details and restart ipsec it works well but if I add a connection after restart it gives message like
>
>  ipsec auto --replace rw_ltotp_test
> 023 authentication method disagrees with "abc", which is also for an unspecified peer
> 037 attempt to load incomplete connection

The connections are "too similar" for pluto to currently make a decision in
time to select for which of the two connections it is. It should figure
this out by the authby= but that happens too late currently.

Adding a rightid=@server and leftid=@client on the PSK connection on
the server (and the client configuration) should work around this.