[Openswan Users] L2TP/IPsec with PSK on Debian

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Mon Nov 28 00:28:54 CET 2005

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 08:50:01PM +0100, Wojciech Sobczak wrote:

> i'm trying to establish connection between openswan and windowsXP
> i'm using PSK, and configured everything based on great articles from http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/freeswan-l2tp.htm site
> (using kernel 2.4.32 with nat-t patch on debian system) but as for now i have roadwarrior winxp client and openswan server not NAT'ed (windows with sp2 and natt patches)
> the problem is that i cannot connect (ipsec part)

The IPsec part seems to be working, it is the L2TP part that
times out. Did you look at the L2TP logs? What L2TP server are
you using? Can you post your configuration file?

> conn l2tp-psk
>         authby=secret

PSK with NAT-T is probably not a good combination.
(This has nothing to do with the current problem
because there is not NAT, of course. I just wanted
to point this out).

>         leftprotoport=17/0

This won't work with NAT-T.

> when i connect roadwarrior to 217.96.x.x network everything works fine....

What do you mean with this? What is the difference?

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw            mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl
Zaandam, The Netherlands  http://www.jacco2.dds.nl