[Openswan Users] ip conflict question

Nick newsgroups at 2thebatcave.com
Fri Nov 25 13:31:20 CET 2005

I also got to thinking about another possible ip conflict problem.

Let's say that one roadwarrior gets an IP of 10.0.0.67, and connects to
the ipsec gateway.  All is well for him.

Then another roadwarrior at some other location gets the same internal IP
address of 10.0.0.67.  Now what happens when this user tries to connect to
the ipsec gateway?

One of these (or both) users would be SOL (not sure how openswan would
handle duplicate virtual ips).  This seems like it would be unlikely
unless you had a lot of users, but still it could happen.

I was thinking about the l2tp or dhcp-over-ipsec option to get the
roadwarrior an ip from the LAN, but before any of that can happen doesn't
the underlying ipsec connection (with the possible ip conflict) have to
work?  With that assumption, then these other options wouldn't really help
with that problem anyway.