[Openswan Users] VPN to NYU

Hakim Singhji hzs202 at nyu.edu
Fri Nov 18 14:58:07 CET 2005

Hi Users,

I need some help, I am a linux newbie and I am trying to connect a my IBM
Thinkpads VPN client using IPsec/UDP to the NYU VPN server. I don't know where
exactly to begin so here is the information the University has published. Note,
it is public so I don't feel it is a threat to post this information.

NYUROAM Info:
--------------------------------

To setup your computer for NYURoam connections with a card falling into this
category, you will need to do the following.

   1. Configure your computer's wireless connection utility:
          * Add a new network called NYU-ROAM3.
          * Disable data encryption for this network.

   2. Download and install the Cisco VPN client for your computer's operating
      system.
          * To download the Cisco VPN client, you must have access to the
            Internet from your computer. If you do not have Internet access on
            this computer, use another computer with Internet access, save the
            file to a disk, and then copy it to your computer.

   3. Configure the Cisco VPN client that you've installed on your computer.
          * Configure it to connect to NYU's VPN server vpn.nyu.edu.
          * Use the Group Access Name nyu-vpn and the Group Password nyu-net.
   4. Connect!

Configure:
----------------------------------

# In the "Connection Entry" field, enter: NYUVPN
# In the "Host" field, enter: vpn.nyu.edu
# Make sure the "Group Authentication" option is selected.
# In the "Name" field, enter: nyu-vpn
# In the "Password" field, enter: nyu-net (will appear as asterisks). Note: all
  username and password information is case sensitive - do not use capital
  letters.
# In the "Confirm Password" field, enter: nyu-net
# Click "Save".
------------------------------------

Is there a way to use OpenSwan to log onto this VPN Server at the University. If
so... could someone show me where to begin. It appears that the University
supports the Cisco client which is nolonger free of charge. I am a broke college
student and I cannot afford to pay for a VPN client... food is a priority and
all I have enough money for.

With that said is there a way I can use OpenSwan instead of the Cisco client?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,

Hakim Singhji
New York University