[Openswan Users] Is a VPN the right thing to use here?

John John at DMJ-Consultancy.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 19:23:00 CET 2005

Apologies for putting this on many lists; I'm not sure which is most
relevant but it's not purely a Swan nor SuSE problem, more an IP problem
I suspect.

Due to current circumstances, I have two separate networks, L and R, on
the same side of an ADSL modem and need to setup a route between them.
They both share the ADSL modem, 10.0.E.2, as their common, default gateway.

Note that E, L & R are used to identify the subnets for this discussion
only and are normally replaced with valid, distinct, octet numbers.
Under normal circumstances, these two networks would be in differing
geographical locations, linked via the Internet.

I would hope that the L subnet could treat the R subnet as if it were
the same network and vice versa but all traffic between the two subnets
seems to disappear up the ADSL modem to oblivion. How can I sort this?

Is a VPN the answer or should I look at static routes?

Can anyone give me pointers on how to set this up, please?

L net = 192.168.L.0/24, default gateway = 192.168.L.1

Netgear FVS318 DSL router 192.168.L.1
     External interface = 10.0.E.32, default gateway = 10.0.E.2

     Hub----->ADSL Modem 10.0.E.2------>Internet

     External interface = 10.0.E.31, default gateway = 10.0.E.2
Server running SuSE10 + Swan/IPSEC
Internal interface 192.168.R.31

R net = 192.168.R.0/24, default gateway = 192.168.R.31

Thanks, in advance

John