[Openswan Users] Weird problem with Internet Explorer proxy

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 08:16:09 CET 2005

Hello

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005, Mark van Proctor wrote:

> The "Default" Settings are your "LAN Settings".

Yep, that's what I expected.

> As per the dialogue box in Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections, these
> are NOT applied to VPN connections, only direct LAN / WLAN networks.

That's what I expected.

> HOWEVER, you say that "Use Default Gateway from remote network" was turned
> OFF. Are the websites that you are trying to connect to (or the Proxy
> servers that you are trying to connect to) on the remote VPN network or on
> the public Internet? If they are are on the remote VPN network, then it will
> use the proxy settings for the VPN.

They are not on the public Internet or the remote network -- they are on
the local network. This is why the problem I had (that IE couldn't
connect to certain *local* hosts) is strange. Note that I pointed out
that the default route on the Windows XP host was still pointing to the
gateway it always does (the local network has many subnets, so a gateway
is necessary here), not to the default gateway on the remote network.

Until I changed the VPN connection proxy settings (which should never
get used, as you pointed out) to match the LAN settings, some local
(LAN) hosts didn't want to work with Internet Explorer.

Cheers

Albert