[Openswan Users] IPsec hangs when server closes the connection

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Mon May 30 19:35:52 CEST 2005

androef wrote:

> Thanks to the helpful people of this newsgroup I am the fist @ our
> University with a running IPsec/L2TPD Connection to the local Windows
> Server.

So you are running it as a client? And it works? That is great. I have not
had time to test this myself. And are you using "listen-addr 127.0.0.1"
so that the l2tpd daemon cannot be reached from the outside?

> But there ist still a littler problem: After a certain time oc
> inactivity the server closes the connection on his own. That's O.K. It
> also happens with Windows.

Check out the lcp-echo-interval for /etc/ppp/options.l2tpd (man pppd).
It should send out traffic once in a while so that the connection does
not disconnect.

> The difference is only: IPsec crashes an hangs.
> I can't shut down the connection (with parameter --down) nor shut down
> IPsec (ipsec stop).

You will have to be more precise. You might have to use the dumpdir
parameter in ipsec.conf. But I am a bit puzzled: an ipsec stop should
always clean up after itself (AFAIK).

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl