[Openswan Users] VPN with Nokia - VpnClient on Nokia Communicator

Kimmo Koivisto kimmo.koivisto at surfeu.fi
Mon May 23 22:29:10 CEST 2005

On Monday 23 May 2005 10:43, foren titze wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tryied to use my Nokia with our Ipsec/L2tp Server, but I don't know howto
> configure the client.
>
> there I have to give an policy-server.
> I only have the IP of our IPSEC/L2TP Server and my Certificate and my
> username:passwd.
>
> So is it possible to use this Client?

Yes, I have done that against ipsec-tools/racoon so it should work against
swan.

I used Nokia's VPN manager to create Client configurations and SSM server to
convert those to the symbian format. I also deployed configurations and
enrolled certificates with Nokia's SSM.

So, Nokia's VPN client is working against other ipsec VPN's fine, you just
need to make sure you swan supports nat-t 03 and everything should be fine.

Creating configurations without Nokia's SSM and GW manager is probably the
biggest issue, client config seems to be in xml format when it's exported
from VPN manager. After converting it to symbian format, is seems to be
base64 or similar encoded xml, didn't have time to check that.

Cisco is going to support Nokia's mobile VPN and other vendors too, as fas as
I know.

Nokia SSM software can be evaluated for free (at least in Finland) until
september, maybe you shoud try it in order to find out how to make configs
without it?

Regards
Kimmo Koivisto