[Openswan Users] How to specify which authentication and encryption algorithms to use ?

Abhijit Mirajkar abhijit at moschip.com
Thu May 19 13:35:34 CEST 2005

Hi,

I am using Openswan 2.3.0 with Redhat 9 Linux 2.4
I could successfully establish a secure connection between 2 Linux PCs in
transport mode, however I am not sure which authentication and encryption
methods it is using since I have not specified any.

Here's snapshot of my ipsec.conf file :
----------------
type=transport
keyingtries=3
authby=secret
keyexchange=ike
ikelifetime=28800s
keylife=86400s
pfs=no
compress=no
right=172.16.1.1
left=172.16.1.2
auto=start

Now I want to use different combinations of authentication and encryption
algorithms. Is it possible just by adding an 'esp' entry to the above file?
e.g. esp=3des-md5

Also what are the default values it is currently taking?

Thanks and Regards,
Abhijit