[Openswan Users] Openswan logo

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sat May 14 21:17:57 CEST 2005

On Sat, 14 May 2005, Jacco de Leeuw wrote:

> http://www.openswan.org/gfx/openswan.logo.jpg
>
> Regarding the new Openswan logo: are there any rules about using it?
> Is it trademarked? Can people use it in docs and distributions?

[ I am not a lawyer, if you need legal advise, get a lawyer :) ]

Xelerance has applied for a trademark for the name and logo. Strangely
enough, you must use the [tm] before you can start this procedure :)

In principle, everyone is free to use the name and logo for Openswan. If
you want to be absolutely sure, you can always contact Patrick Naubert
of Xelerance (patrickn at xelerance.com) to see if some particular usage
would be okay.

In particular, if you are shipping Openswan or writing about Openswan,
you are allowed (and encouraged) to use the logo, provided you do not
strip away the [tm] (or later the (r)).

If someone is shipping derivative code, which we feel cannot be called
Openswan anymore, then we might ask you to change the name and logo of
your product.  We also do not allow people who violate Openswan's GPL
to use our trademark, so apart from copyrioght infringement, such an
entity would also be violating the Openswan trademark.

> Who is to be credited?

The logo was designed by Nana Manojlovic (nana at shmizle.net)

I will upload a larger version of the logo to the gfx directory for
people to use.