ATTN Herbert Xu [Fwd: Re: [Openswan Users] Compression with Linux kernel 2.6]

Herbert Xu herbert at gondor.apana.org.au
Sat May 14 13:37:56 CEST 2005

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 06:34:03PM -0500, Phillip T. George wrote:

> What exactly is this patch supposed to do...?  I thought it was supposed
> to fix the compression problem.  IF not, then what exactly am I

It's meant to fix this error

003 "connname" 0000002: ERROR: netlink_get_spi for comp.0 at 1.2.3.4 failed
with errno 22: Invalid argument

that affects 2.4 kernels in ancient RedHat releases.  It has nothing
to do with your problem because

1) You're not having that error.
2) You're using a recent 2.6 kernel from FC3.

> looking/testing for?  I applied the patch.  I've also attached my
> tcpdump logs....hopefully they're organized well enough.

OK.  Looks like the IPComp is working at all.  Small packets get through
because they're not compressed.  Compression only kicks in above 90 bytes.

Please do the following for me on both sides after you've attempted
both pings:

ip -s x p
ip -s x s

Cheers,