[Openswan Users] WLAN IPsec implementation

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Fri May 13 11:43:24 CEST 2005

Zach wrote:

> Hello everyone, I’m having a difficult time setting up a VPN connection
> between my XP2/SP2 notebook and Ubuntu box running Openswan 2.3.1
> config setup
>
>  # Debug-logging controls:  "none" for (almost) none, "all" for lots.
>  klipsdebug=none
>  plutodebug=all

Normally plutodebug=all is not needed. Most problems are simply due to
a configuration error.

>  virtual_private=%v4:10.0.0.0/8,%v4:172.16.0.0/12,%v4:192.168.0.0/16

You need to exclude your internal subnet here. Add this:
... ,%v4:!192.168.2.0/24

Assuming that this is indeed your internal subnet. But I don't think this
is the cause of the problem. You are probably not doing NAT on your WLAN,
right?

> conn %default
>         left=192.168.2.1
>         leftsubnet=192.168.2.1/32

This leftsubnet= probably confuses the conn wireless.
Could you remove it?

> conn wireless
>         leftprotoport=17/1701
>         rightprotoport=17/1701
>         pfs=no
>         rekey=no
>         right=%any
>         rightsubnet=vhost:%no,%priv
>         auto=add

rekey=no? Why is that?

> conn conntointernet
>         leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
>         also=wireless

This won't work with L2TP over IPsec. Once the packets are
delivered to the L2TP daemon, Openswan is not involved anymore.
So L2TP/PPP will have to do the forwarding to Internet.

Could you decribe your setup with a diagram or something? Is your
Ubuntu box behind a firewall? Remember, no L2TP daemon should be
accessible from the Internet for obvious security reasons.

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl