[Openswan Users] Compression with Linux kernel 2.6

Randy B randy at pillowfactory.org
Thu May 12 20:35:06 CEST 2005

> This is supposed to be there enterprise linux stuff. I don't think RHEL3
> should turn EOL in ages. Wasn't that the whole point of EL?

IRL, I've been working with Red Hat toward an SLA, and if I recall
correctly, RHEL-3 is supposed to have full support until ~2008 and
patched support into the 'teens.  Release cycles are 18 months.

I've not been working on their RHEL 3 since they gave me copies of RHEL
4, but I'm sure the 2-year failure has something to do with the 2.4/6
glue that is their RHEL 2-3 kernel.  I haven't seen any problems with 4.

Hopefully, look forward to greater IPSec process adoption and attention
from RHEL - right now they ship racoon plus a rather limited
configuration interface (e.g. no host-to-net connections), but it looks
like they might even start shipping Openswan.

RB