[Openswan Users] Compression with Linux kernel 2.6

Phillip T. George phillip at eacsi.com
Wed May 11 11:34:51 CEST 2005

This information was pulled from:
http://www.openswan.org/docs/local/README.Kernel26

"
* compression seems to be incompatible between KLIPS and the 2.6 ipsec
code. Since we believe the 2.6 ipsec code is wrong, we cannot fix this.
If you get a successful IKE negotiation and can send ESP packets, but
never get replies, compile KLIPS without CONFIG_IPSEC_IPCOMP. There is
currently no runtime switch to disable compression. Note that setting
compress=no is not enough; it just means we do not announce compression,
but we'll still do it if the other end requests it.
"

I noticed the document is dated 2004/06/09 (according to
http://www.openswan.org/docs/local/ ) which means that its been almost
over a year.  Surely by now there must be some way to get compression to
work, right?

So the question is, as stated above: Is there a work around or a direct
fix on getting compression to work with kernel version 2.6?

Thanks,
Phillip