RV: [Openswan Users] voip over ipsec

Elias Valea Peri Elias at jjec.com
Thu May 5 11:03:42 CEST 2005

I've done it many times, according my experience pay attenmption to the next
things :

Latency :
The most important parameter is latency, ever must be under 150ms (100ms or
less recommended), so before using ipsec investigate your expected latency
at network transport.
Ok, if your latency is acceptable, you must know that when you apply ipsec
it's normal that a couple of ms will be added to latency, because
encrypt/decrypt calculation, hashing, and key/SA renegotiation wates CPU
time (specially on server side), so many times is needed to reduce security
a lot by using b.ex DES+MD5+aggressive mode (worst case), to save CPU and
not increase latency.

Bandwidth :
Depending on the codecs you're using, and of course the sampling
rate/quality, i'll need from 20kbits/s to 90kbits/s per voice channel. In
most cases 20-30kbits/s is sufficient. Ipsec will add a bit of bandwidth,
usually not representative, but depends on your config (you must sniff
network data to take a measurement).

Protocols for VoIP :
I prefer to use SIP, not ITU family, because is easier to control at
transport layer (less port/protocols), and has a less dependency on TCP
transport.

Which hard/soft are you planning to use for VoIP?

QoS, yes, use it, but if you encapsulate the packets inside a
tunnel/transport, you'll need to establish a resource reservation policy for
encrypted traffic too.

Elias