[Openswan Users] Kernel 2.6.10 solved fragmentation issue for me

Tomasz Grzelak tgrzelak at wktpolska.com.pl
Sun May 1 17:57:12 CEST 2005

Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Christoph Haas wrote:
>
>> I had refused to migrate from my stoneaged FreeS/WAN setup to OpenS/WAN
>> because I experienced problems with large packets through the tunnel
>> (besides from ugly crashes with the net-snmpd software). This seems to
>> have been a problem with not treating the "need to fragment" message
>> correctly. Connections with "large packets" were just stuck. The last
>> message in a 'tetheral' dump were "IP Fragmented IP protocol". It
>> happened when doing data transfers that hit the MTU. Working through SSH
>> worked. Copying data with 'scp' stuck. RDP connections stuck, too.
>>
>> Then I found a posting from Herbert Xu on this list as a reply to
>> someone having the same problem as me. He suggested to try the Linux
>> kernel 2.6.10. And voila - it seems to have been resolved finally.
>

> Thanks for the feedback!

I don't know if the above is true.
A week or two ago my friend set up a tunnel between two OpenSwan Linux
boxes running kernel 2.6.11.7, and fell into the mtu problem described
above.

Can you make tests with the 2.6.11.7/8 kernels, and confirm there are no
more mtu problems?

Tomasz Grzelak

--
Open Your Mind - Use Open Source...