[Openswan Users] kernel ipsec enable

Petar Ivcec p_ivcec at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 28 20:07:16 CEST 2005

Hello everyone...I am totally new to linux and really could use some help
here...Im running fedora core three and I've installed openswan 2.2 by
rpm...I've gotten to the point where I need to setup a password, according
to this tutorial im following...problem is that ipsec.secrets file doesnt
exist anywhere... so I ran ipsec verify command...here's the output:

[root at localhost ~]# ipsec verify
Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:
Version check and ipsec on-path                                         [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.2.0/K(no kernel code presently loaded)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel
[FAILED]Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)
    [FAILED]ipsec showhostkey: file `/etc/ipsec.secrets' does not exist
Checking that pluto is running
[FAILED]whack: Pluto is not running (no "/var/run/pluto.ctl")
Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding
[FAILED]whack: Pluto is not running (no "/var/run/pluto.ctl")
Checking for 'ip' command                                               [OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command                                         [OK]

Opportunistic Encryption DNS checks:
   Looking for TXT in forward dns zone: localhost.localdomain
[MISSING]
   Does the machine have at least one non-private address?
[FAILED][root at localhost ~]#

I guess that I need to enable ipsec in kernel....and I could really use some
good tips on how to go about doing this exactly since it seems so utterly
confusing to me from what ive found...thanks.