[Openswan Users] Re: Working IPSec/L2TP for Windows clients with X.509 and NAT-T details

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Wed Mar 23 18:04:00 CET 2005

Ken Bantoft wrote:

> There are some potential risks with NAT-T in transport mode.
> Initially, Openswan shipped with it disabled,
> but since Microsoft decided it was OK and insisted on using it, we
> eventually started to ship with it enabled to clear the mailing list of
> the 1000x 'Why doesn't this work?' emails.  I'm decidedly not happy
> about this, but I don't see another answer.

They should have fixed this in the NAT-T RFC. The drafts have been out
for ages. Microsoft was intimately involved with this RFC:

IPsec-Network Address Translation (NAT) Compatibility Requirements

   Network Working Group                                         B. Aboba
   Request for Comments: 3715                                    W. Dixon
   Category: Informational                                      Microsoft
                                                               March 2004

Negotiation of NAT-Traversal in the IKE

   Network Working Group                                       T. Kivinen
   Request for Comments: 3947                                     SafeNet
   Category: Standards Track                                   B. Swander
                                                                Microsoft
                                                             January 2005

Even more peculiar is the situation where the L2TP/IPsec server is NATed.
This scenario should be supported according to the NAT-T requirements RFC
but in XP SP2 they simply "avoid establishing any IPSec NAT-T-based SAs
to servers that are located behind a NAT":
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1004.mspx#ECAA
But apparently it is fine for older clients? This too should have been
fixed in the RFC.

Or perhaps Microsoft's implementation is not vulnerable after all?

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl