[Openswan Users] l2tpd problem?

Tomasz Grzelak tgrzelak at wktpolska.com.pl
Wed Mar 23 13:26:55 CET 2005

Dnia środa, 23 marca 2005 11:04, napisałeś:
> Tomasz Grzelak wrote:
> > ok, I could try another l2tp daemon, but which one could give me
> > something like this:
> >  * road warriors establish vpn sessions, so there aren't any known IP
> >   addresses
> >  * each client is always given the well known IP addres as the ppp
> > session has been  established (defined in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets), for
> > example: user_A gets 172.22.22.2, user_B gets 172.22.22.3, and so on, and
> > this never changes
>
> rp-l2tp supports Road Warriors, and it can assign static IP addresses
> through PPP with the use of chap-secrets. I have made (S)RPMs of rp-l2tp
> with sample configuration files similar to those in l2tpd, see:
> http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/freeswan-l2tp.html#L2TPconfigLinux

ok, I am looking at the examples right now, and I've got a question:
what is the 'peer' IP address - is it the IP assigned
from /etc/ppp/chap-secrets or is it the real IP address of the client?

so according to my needs, it should be:
 peer 172.22.22.0/27 (my clients get assigned those IPs)
or
 peer 0.0.0.0/0 (any client can be the peer end, meaning a road warrior)

> > Am I able to get the config above working with l2tpns? I didn't find any
> > examples of configuring l2tpns in such a manner. I looked at Alan
> > Whinery's example config, but couldn't have found answer to my question.
>
> I have not used l2tpns myself but it seems you will need a RADIUS server
> to assign the IP addresses. l2tpns has built-in PPP support but it does
> not seem to be as extensive as pppd. For instance, I see no mention of
> configuring WINS.

I don't want to use any inner-pppd, so as I can see I have no other option,
but rp-l2tp to support road warriors with 'always-the-same-IPs' assigned,
right?

thank you very much!
Tomasz Grzelak