[Openswan Users] RE: Routes on ipsec instead of physical interface when interfaces go down and then up.

Ilona Regev iregev at mrv.co.il
Wed Mar 16 15:30:05 CET 2005

Hi,

Another option is  to set the route that is added for the interface with a
metric of 99.
i.e. if ipsec0=eth0 with ip 192.90.168.1, then the route
Destination   Gateway Genmask        Flags  Metric  Ref  Iface
192.90.168.1 *            255.255.255.0  U       99        0     ipsec0.

With the metric at this value, then once the interface goes down and then
back up, the routes will be added to eth0 instead of ipsec0.

Does anyone know how this route is added?
Is it added automatically by the kernel when ipsec0 is attached to eth0 or
is it done specifically by the application somewhere - and if so, does
someone know where?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Ilona