[Openswan Users] L2TP/IPSEC & DSL ppp interface assignment

Lewis Shobbrook lshobbrook at fasttrack.net.au
Fri Mar 11 15:03:56 CET 2005

Hi Guys,
Not sure if this entirely the right forum for this, but Im hoping this
may have been experienced and solved by other list members.
We have a mutli-path internet connection in place, on a debian sid box
with openswan/l2tp and a customised 2.6.8 kernel.
I have an occassional issue that crops up from time to time where a DSL
connection that traditionally occupies the ppp0 device and is firewalled
in reference to this drops out.  In the mean time while the connection
is down we get an L2TP/IPSEC VPN connection coming in which then
occupies the ppp0, when the DSL service comes back online it takes the
next available ppp interface such as ppp1.
The firewall is configured differently for this connection and this can
cause service and security issues.
Is there anyway to assign or reserve the ppp interface to prevent this
from happening?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Lewis