[Openswan Users] Ipsec tools

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Mar 9 20:48:57 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 21:36 -0300, Anderson Alves de Albuquerque wrote:

>  Is "ipsec-tools-0.5" importante to OpenSwan?
>
>  I am using kernel 2.6.10 with ipsec anable.

<snip>
I believe it depends on how you are using Openswan.  If you are using
both pluto (IKE) and KLIPS (IPSec), then I do not think you need ipsec-
tools.  However, I have never tried it so if someone tells you
otherwise, believe them!

If you are only using pluto and using the native 2.6 IPSec
implementation then I think you need ipsec-tools so that you have
setkey.  You will not need racoon.  You will need setkey to establish
the security policies which will then call Openswan's pluto when needed
to establish the security association.

Hope this helps - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net