[Openswan Users] Fwd: Lost packets after DNAT

George Adams georgebadams at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 1 10:27:51 CET 2005

 --- Paul Wouters <paul at xelerance.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, George Adams wrote:
>
> > ipsec0 is bound to eth1.
> >
> > the sysctl.conf file has:
> >
> > # Controls source route verification
> > net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
> > net.ipv4.conf.eth1.rp_filter=0
> >
> > and
> >
> > # cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1/rp_filter
> > 0
> >
> > should I disable default.rp_filter?
>
> Yes, because "ipsec0" is also a device that gets
> packets from
> "martian" sources. If you really want spoof
> protection, just
> add those to your firewall rules. rp_filter is just
> too
> stupid to use.

Done. I'll get the client to test later since I dont
have acess to the client end.

> > I recall having to disable eth1.rp_filter because
> > IPSEC complains about it during startup.
>
> Well, later versions just turn rp_filter off when
> needed.
>
> [ ipsec verify ]
>
> That looks ok.
>
> > I should mention that this is running on Redhat 8
> with
> > kernel version 2.4.20. We are currently testing
>
> That should work fine.
>
> > Openswan on RHEL 3es but in the meantime I need to
> get
> > this working.
>
> That will be hell, since RHEL3 uses a hybrid 2.4/2.6
> kernel,
> and you won't be able to get KLIPS going, and the
> NETKEY version

Not my choice really and quite annoyed about the lack
of KLIPS, but some management feel better when they
pay. :-)

> in RHEL3 kernels is just too broken last time I
> checked.
>
> Paul

The new setup Openswan+L2TP is being used with WINXP
SP2 roadwarriors. So far I've been very happy with it.

Many thanks for your help.

George.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com