[Openswan Users] Openswan 2.3 with multiple remote networks that are dynamic

Kristopher Lalletti klalletti at tmcsolutions.ca
Tue Jun 28 13:22:00 CEST 2005

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I was left under the impression that for receiving multiple leaf-nodes without knowing their IP address, it was required for me to use aggressive mode. I'm not the IPSEC expert; however, I think the protocol does not permit identifying the remote ID before an IPSEC session is established.

So far, after a bit of testing, it seems like you cannot have multiple tunnels defined with OpenSwan with the right=%any and expecting the proper association with the proper rightid=@someFQDN for IKE PSK authentication.

Is this the impression I'm getting?

So far, the possible scenarios I have eliminated:
- I can't use the classic Road-Warrior type (1 to many) IPSEC association, since each remote site has their own subnet, and I need to access the remote subnet when they are connected.

- I can't use the classic Net-to-Net type (many to many) IPSEC association, since the remote peer is dynamic.

- I can't use Certificates since the remote peers don't support X509 certs.

- I can't use RSASIG key signatures, since the remote peers don't support RSA signatures.

Which leaves to possibly 3 scenarios left:
- PSK with IKE peer id's with aggressive mode (or main mode, if feasible).
- Replace the remote endpoints and use the one of the previously excluded scenarios.
- Take the old VPN firewall server, put it in the DMZ, and call it a day.

Did I forget anything?

Kris