[Openswan Users] re: Openswan Road warriors and Netscreen vpn

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Wed Jun 22 01:15:54 CEST 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Ric Stuebs wrote:

> We have a number of mobile users with linux laptops that would like to connect to our Netscreen 500 with OpenSwan. These particular users need to use PSK.

This is asking for a lot of trouble. mobile means users behind NAT and NAT-Traversal,
which does BOT go well with PSK's at all. Is your netscreen setup to do aggressive
instead of main mode? It would be preferable not to use that.
Did you upgrade to the latest ScreenOS?

An example config:

conn openswan-to-netscreen
         authby=secret
         aggrmode=yes
         ike=3des-sha1-modp1024
         left=%defaultroute
         leftid=@openswan
         right=1.2.3.4
         rightsubnet=172.16.0.0/24
         auto=start

ipsec.secrets:
1.2.3.4 @openswan : PSK "netscreen"

If that fails, use the webGUI to view the IPsec for errors

   "I am not even supposed to be here today!"  -- Clerics