[Openswan Users] Gateway to Static IP, no ping

Arnab Chowdry achowdry at berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 17 15:22:22 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a VPN where computers with static IP addresses can log
into a gateway computer to access a private network. I've been searching the
documentation and archives for days now without coming up with a solution,
so please forgive me if this is a naïve question. Here is my desired
topology:

(Client) 132.239.201.224  -->
[ Internet ] -->
(Gateway) 132.239.201.186(ext) 192.168.10.1(int) -->
192.168.10.0/24 (internal subnet)

Both systems are running SuSE 9.2 and my ipsec.conf file looks like:

# START /etc/ipsec.conf
version 2

config setup
        interfaces="ipsec0=eth0"
        klipsdebug=all
        plutodebug=all

conn hades-pandemonium
        left=132.239.201.186   # pandemonium
        leftsubnet=192.168.10.0/24
        leftnexthop=132.239.201.1
        leftfirewall=yes
        leftnexthop=132.239.201.1
        leftfirewall=yes
        leftrsasigkey=0sAQO...
        right=132.239.201.224  # hades
        rightnexthop=132.239.201.1
        rightrsasigkey=0sAQO...
        auto=add
# END /etc/ipsec.conf

When I connect, I use the command line from hades:
ipsec auto --verbose --up hades-pandemonium

And I get the normal success messages. The problem is, after I do this,
hades can't ping any of the hosts on the internal 192.168.10.0/24 subnet. I
know that hades and pandemonium can ping each other via the internet.

I've posted my ipsec barf file at http://leafnode.net/ipsec.barf.txt and I
hope someone could help me.

Thanks!
Arnab Chowdry